KCNA Member Newsletter
KCNA's monthly e-newsletter for nurses
Angel Mathis, MN, MPH, ARNP
The deadline for the 2014-15 scholarships has just passed; we will be selecting recipients in the next few weeks, and honoring them at our Annual Meeting & Spring Banquet on May 8. Watch this page for an announcement and application for next year's scholarships (posted by January 2015).
- To provide financial assistance to qualified students who have a permanent address, or are currently enrolled in a nursing program in King County and are preparing for a career as a registered nurse, or to RNs returning for an advanced degree in nursing or a related field.
- To encourage and provide for continuing diversity within the nursing profession.
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
Twelve scholarships of $2,500 each will be awarded in the spring of 2014 for summer 2014 through spring 2015 school terms. Applicants must be accepted into or currently enrolled in a nursing program for the summer 2014 through spring 2015 school year. If you have applied but have not been accepted, you are ineligible and should wait until the following year to apply for the scholarship.
Basic Program: General scholarships will be awarded to students enrolled in associate or baccalaureate degree programs preparing for a career as a registered nurse. At least one of these scholarships is designated for an ethnic minority student.
Graduate Entry Program: Scholarship will be awarded to students currently enrolled in a graduate entry program in nursing. The student may be in the pre-licensure or the advanced degree portion of the program.
RN Baccalaureate (RNB) Program: Scholarship will be awarded to a registered nurse in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
Advance Degree Program: Valerie Weiss, ARNP, MN, MA, Memorial Scholarship Award is for a current RN working toward an advanced degree in nursing or a related field. The award is given as a lasting legacy to an outstanding nurse whose professional commitment was an inspiration to her colleagues and patients alike.
KCNA reserves the right to distribute the scholarships among these categories depending on applications received.
• Be currently enrolled in nursing program as described in the categories above.
• Maintain a minimum “B” average (3.0 grade point average).
• Maintain a permanent address in King County or be enrolled in a nursing program located in King County.
Valerie Weiss Memorial Scholarship: Meet the above criteria and demonstrate an exemplary commitment to the nursing profession through extracurricular professional activities.
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of:• Academic Performance • School Involvement
• Community Involvement • Professional Activities
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I need to send transcripts from all the schools I have attended? Answer: You only need to send in current college transcripts that include nursing courses and any prerequisites.
- Do I need to send an official transcript? Answer: An unofficial copy of the transcript is acceptable.
- Do you have a form for my references to complete? Answer: No, we do not have a form. We prefer to have the reference write a letter of recommendation.
- Can I have a past instructor write a letter of recommendation? Answer: Yes, as long as they know you well enough to write a letter of recommendation.
- Which category of scholarship should I apply for? Answer: Please review the detailed information on the scholarship application to determine your category.
- Can I apply for the scholarship if I am waiting to find out if I have been accepted into a nursing program? Answer: You must be already accepted into a program before you apply for a scholarship. If you have not been accepted by March 1, please wait until the following year to apply for the funds.
- Can I apply for a scholarship if I haven't completed any prerequisites? No, you need to complete the nursing prerequisites and be accepted into a program before you can apply.
- How can I deliver my application? Answer: You can have it postmarked and mailed or you can hand deliver it to our office. March 1 is the deadline. If you are hand delivering it, you can put it in the mail slot in the KCNA office door until 10 pm on March 1. We do not accept faxes or electronically submitted applications.
- If I am awarded the scholarship, when can I start using the money? Answer: The funds will be sent to your school for use beginning in the summer of 2014 and ending the spring of 2015.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP OPTIONS:
The Washington State Nurses Association offers scholarships: http://www.wsna.org/wsnf/scholarship/application/
Congratulations 2013 Scholarship Recipients!
Twelve scholarships of $2,500 each were awarded for the 2013-14 school year.
View short bios of these students here.